If you are starting out as a beginner doing fashion sketches, techniques are required. You don’t necessarily have to have a strong background in other types of art to master fashion sketching techniques. With a little practice, you will learn accuracy and move onto developing your signature creative elements in no time. Tips for beginners can be culled from the experts in the industry who are masters and knowing how to help the fashion visionary get their ideas on paper.
- Why is Learning Fashion Sketching Beneficial?
- It serves as a visual tool between the artist and the sewer
- Mastering fashion sketches techniques can be the best way to communicate your ideas to others
- Sketches help remind the designer of the steps that need to be undertaken in the process such as selecting fabric and colors
- Savvy fashion artists can keep a notebook with them at all times and use their sketching skills to record ideas they see in nature, architecture, or to remember elements a garment they find inspirational
- Flat Fashion Sketches
The purpose of flat schematic drawings is to help create symmetry in garment construction. A croquis is a figure of a body, a template that supplies accurate proportions in flat garment sketches. You’ll need tracing paper to lay over a croquis. If you need a croquis, they can be downloaded on the internet.It’s easy to draw your design over the figure when you these tools. The basic process for achieving symmetry involves sketching on one side and folding the paper on a center line, tracing on the other side and finally adding details such as buttons, collars, or zippers.
- Dynamic Fashion Sketches
Dynamic drawings show attitude and movement, allowing the viewer to understand how the garment will look when it’s worn. They can be created by tracing photographs and can include elements such as color and pattern. This process is greatly aided if you have collected fashion photos and illustrations into files that you can browse for inspiration.
These images can be traced and really help create a professional looking sketch. When a specific silhouette catches your eye that is complimentary to your vision, focus on that. You can magnify or reduce proportions if needed uses a photocopier. If you know computer design, you can also scan it alter a file according to your needs.
The Basic Shapes in Fashion Sketching
Once you have the use of basic shapes down, you will know which ones to select from your fashion sketching toolbox, making creating a cinch. Practice drawing these shapes until it feels effortless to produce them. The oval will be used for figuring out proportion in relation to the head.
Ovals, squares and circles are needed for the outline of the head. Triangles, trapezoids, and heart shapes can used for shape and emphasizing various body parts. Don’t forget that shapes can be combined using overlapping or staking techniques.
- Tips on the Use of Various Lines in Fashion Sketching
- Use lines of different lengths and thicknesses to show texture
- Dark lines are good for shadowing, and light lines are good for detail
- Curved lines are formed in long loops and arcs. They can be used for hair, eyebrows, necklines, and cuffs, for example.
It may take a little practice to gain mastery over fashion sketching techniques, but once you do, your process will be effortless. Have fun and gain satisfaction over witnessing your own signature style evolve.